Some users even after configuring the router properly on their computer find it difficult to detect the network on it. It displays ‘Extender setup requires wireless connection’.
If you are facing such a problem with your router, then try the tricks mentioned below:
- Check whether the router and extender are within the range or not: Do check that the router and the extender must be within the range. Place the router temporarily close to the extender and check if the signal strength is increased or not. If yes, then it means some obstructions lie in-between router and range extender. Avoid placing metal objects or reflective surfaces near Linksys extender.
- Check the computer wireless capability whether enabled or not: From computer taskbar, go to ‘Wireless connection’ or click on ‘icon’ given in the shape of signals. If you find LAN is enabled, then disable it and enable a wireless connection.
- Click on ‘wired icon’ and go to ‘Network and sharing center’.
- Go to ‘Network connections’ and check the ‘Local area connection’. If it is enabled, then this may conflict with the wireless connection.
- Right click on LAN to disable it.
- Now, check the WAN option which should be enabled for wireless connections. If it is disabled, then enable it by right-clicking on the option.
- Connect to 2.4 GHz networks: Are you using a dual band router? If yes, then switch the router network to 2.4 GHz for broadcasting. The computer must be switched to 2.4 GHz as Linksys RE1000 doesn’t support 5 GHz network.
- From Desktop taskbar, go to ‘Wireless icon’ to check the list of available wireless connections.
- Select the SSID of your router having a 2.4 GHz networks.
- Click to connect.
Important: If you want your computer to remember the wireless network, click on the ‘Automatic connect’ box.
Wait till the connection gets established on the computer. If you are told to enter the password, enter security key or passphrase. The security type can be selected at the time of setup. You will then find ‘Connected’ message on screen or the signal icon will turn green.
- Make the SSID of your wireless router visible: One of the reasons why your router is not detected by the devices is; router SSID may be hidden. If this is the case, then unhide the ID or click on ‘Broadcast router’ option from router login. For more information about this, you can go to the ‘Linksys router login’.
Note: The SSID broadcast feature discussed in the previous step is not available on all the Linksys router Setup. Only selected models have this feature. You will find it in routers with classic firmware. If your router is maintaining a cloud account, this feature is no longer supported by it.
Once everything is done, click to connect to the computer again and run the setup wizard for Linksys RE1000.