Linksys routers disable the default WAN ping feature for security. When a host is directly connected to the Internet in the absence of a firewall, it poses a security risk because a hacker can learn about the existence of the host via a ping scan. An internet user will not commit any mistake intentionally to jeopardize his/her network even when the firewall is in place. The Linksys router will play the role of a firewall for the rest of the default network. You can enable WAN ping on a Linksys router through the administration interface.
Here are the steps that you need to follow in order to enable PING WAN in your Linksys Wireless G Router setup:
- Open a browser and then, type “192.168.1.1” (without the quotation marks) in the address bar. Press “Enter”.
- Leave the user name blank followed by typing “admin” for the password and then, pressing “Enter”.
- Click on “Security”.
- Click to uncheck the box “Filter anonymous Internet requests.”
- Click “Save Settings” to apply the changes.
If you have enabled Ping WAN, but in the process disturb any other setting, then you will have to find out the fault. Once found, then you can go ahead with the repairing process, which is what we have explained in the next section.
If you want to repair your Linksys Wireless-G Router, then you need to follow below-mentioned steps.
Linksys wireless routers are capable of different types of wireless network configurations. Linksys G wireless routers running on the 2.4 GHz wireless band provide 11 channels of wireless signal up to 54 megabits per second with the 802.11g wireless standard. When a Linksys Wireless-G router is no longer functioning properly or if it has been moved to a new location where old network settings no longer apply, it can be reset to the factory default configuration and then reconfigured from zero. You can correct your Linksys 2.4-G GHz wireless router by changing the configuration.
- Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds, which you can find on the back of the router.
- Unplug the power supply from the router with relinquishing hold from the reset button.
- Turn on the router while continuing to hold the reset button for another 30 seconds.
- Release the reset button and wait about two minutes for the router to re-initialize.
- Open a Web browser, and then type “192.168.1.1” without the quotation marks in the address bar. Press “Enter”.
- leave the username blank and type “admin” without the quotation marks for the password. Press “Enter”.
- Click to navigate the menus and change the settings that apply to your network configuration. Refer to the owner’s manual for more details.
In case, the Linksys Router setup is not getting back to its normal state, then you will have to take help of experts because only they can restore the functionality of the Linksys Router.
For more information about Linksys Wireless router setup visit https://www.linksys.com/us/c/wireless-routers/